Information for Governors, Chairs, Clerks and Headteachers.
Welcome to the City of Wolverhampton Council's School Governor Services. These pages are for Governors/ Trustees/ Directors, Chairs, Clerks and Headteachers.
The City of Wolverhampton Council is committed to evolving best practice and improving standards of school governance across the City. We are pleased to offer an innovative way for you to access a comprehensive range of options despite our fully-subsidised programme coming to an end. For just £350 schools can sign up to our Evolving Governance Package which includes:
To view our full training programme, please click on the link below:
- A two hour Governance Audit resulting in a bespoke Action Plan for your Board with achievable short medium and long term aims.
- Access to our Governor Training Package for three Governors per board per session.
- Access to our termly Governor’s Forum, with key Local Authority updates and bite sized training sessions.
- Telephone Support on all Governance Issues Monday Friday, 9am 4pm.
- Support for all your Governor Recruitment and Retention, including advertising your vacancies and providing new Governors with an Induction pack.
- Access to our Buddy System for any Governors who would like a mentor or simply a contact on another board for advice, information exchanges and link role support.
- Full access to bespoke online portal for all dataset management, document storage and communications from the Local Authority.
What is it like to be a School Governor?
Governors are one of the largest volunteer forces in the country, and in Wolverhampton alone we need over 1200 School Governors to help raise school standards. There has never been a better time to join our team of volunteers; educational outcomes in the city have improved again this year and there has been a 15% increase in Good or Outstanding Ofsted ratings for Leadership and Management.
The City of Wolverhampton Council continually needs volunteers from a range of different backgrounds who can bring a variety of skills to the table, and welcome applications from anyone who has a passion for improving educational outcomes for children and young people. You do not have to be a parent, just motivated to implement change. If you are interested in joining our ever-expanding team of volunteers, or have any questions that you would like to ask, please do not hesitate to get in touch with the School Governance and Workforce team.
Current Governor Vacancies
For a limited time only, all new Governors can now receive one year's worth of free online training and relevant newsletters from the NGA as part of their partnership with Inspiring Governance. When you sign up as a Governor in Wolverhampton, you will also be eligible for this training. An opportunity not to be missed!
How do I become a School Governor?
What our customers say...